During my time as an undergrad, I served as one of the staff writers for The Collegian, the weekly student-run newspaper for Saint Mary’s College of California. Additionally, during the Fall 2012, I enrolled in American Journalism (COM 122), an upper-division course that allowed me to not only write news stories, but also work on radio vignettes and video features.
Below are links to some of my work.
Personal WordPress Site for American Journalism Course: justhersmc.wordpress.com
Some highlights include:
- VIDEO: SMC Sesquicentennial Feature: Wednesday Barbecues (featured on the Sesquicentennial Stories page of the Saint Mary’s website)
- COLUMN: Wasted Youth: Why Aren’t More Millennials Protesting?
- GUEST PROFILES: Thomas Peele, Wendy Tokuda, and Dennis Erokan
2011 Pieces (click for all pieces; highlights listed below)
- [OPINION] November 1: Girls hold doors, too
- October 25: Annual ‘Night to Remember’ Honors Catalina Torres
- September 27: Stories from the Bay Area home front
2012 Pieces (click for all pieces; highlights listed below)
- December 4: Are you safe at night? Student safety at risk on campus
- November 6: Changing Perceptions shares insight from LGBTQIA community
- [OPINION] September 25: Happy birthday, Occupy Wall Street
- September 25: Saint Mary’s students register to vote at voter registration drive
- [OPINION] September 11: The good, the bad, and the ugly chair speech
2013 Pieces (click for all pieces; highlights listed below)
- September 24: Miss America’s controversy
- October 8: 20 years of exploring and learning with Women’s and Gender Studies
2014 Pieces (click for all pieces; highlights listed below)
- [OPINION] May 13: Thoughts on checking your privilege
- [OPINION] January 28: ASU Fraternity’s party promotes racism on MLK holiday
- January 28: “Fruitvale” family comes to campus with powerful message